Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Poor king...murdered by his own man"

I am still playing SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend. It's enjoyable how broken and odd it is. Once I got past the opening grind it's been pretty damn easy, with my mutant's odd, disappearing/reappearing skills laying most everything to waste on the first turn. My humans are really just there to take over when the mutant is without a good combat skill. The monster is there for comic relief -- he went from a bull to a worm to a piranha with a TUSK attack and...well, right now I have no idea what he is. There's a FAQ that details how the meat transformations work but I don't really want to know. I like surprises.

I remembered spending the majority of the game lost in a tower, but so far the tower segments have been really brief. I did not recall any of these side-worlds you visit at all. I've been to Hell, and Waterworld, and you start off in a typical fantasy kingdom but with a large cephalopod population. I also went to Paradise. Its residents enjoy a life of nothing but eating and sleeping more than I do. It was the first stop on the tower, I think, and I'm wondering why the party didn't just quit the climb right there. The game's such an odd hodgepodge of scifi and fantasy, moreso than any FF game. I mean, my party's inventory is made up of Colt .45s, SMGs, Sabers, Battle Axes, tomes of Fire Magic, beast nails, Grenades, and Rocks. Rocks are surprisingly strong. The world design so far is a similar mess. The whole game...it's not very cohesive. There wasn't much thought put into any of it, I don't think. Sooo it's a lot like this blog, really. And I think that's why I like it. There's a lot to be said for games that don't really know what they're doing. Or games that do know, but don't really care that it's not "right". You know what I mean? You don't see it much from Japan or the West nowadays. Thank God for Eastern Europe. And Kawazu!

No comments:

Post a Comment